Painting the interiors of your house can be a challenge. You have to take many things into consideration. The paint can depict the character of the occupant of the room and it can also make the room look glamorous or dreadful. The color of the paint can set off your mood and can even be the cause for lifting up your mood or making you feel depressed. Besides the color, you should also know something about the painting process so that the walls actually look good after the work is completed. There are a few tips you can follow to make sure that you paint the interiors well.
Paint roller or spray gun
Paint of the right color
Rags to clean up the mess
Covers for the furniture and flooring
Wooden stir stick
- Before you start painting, you need to either remove the furniture and other items from the room or get them covered. You will also wish to avoid the color from spilling onto the trim work, ceilings, baseboards, lighting fixtures, ceiling fans and also from splattering the flooring. If you do this beforehand, there will be less clean-up to do and the work will look really professional.
- Move all the furniture in the room away from the walls and to the middle of the room. Cover all of them with rags or newspapers whichever is suitable to you. Use sheets to cover the floor so that paint does not spoil the show. The windows, doors, baseboards, wall plates, trim work, lighting fixtures and ceiling can be covered with painter’s tape. Air conditioners and wall panelling should also be covered in the same way. Remove the drapes and all other fashionable coverings in the room.
- Before using the actual paint, you need to use a primer on the walls. This will help to give a uniform look to the walls after the painting work by hiding all the blemishes on the walls. Wait till this coat of primer dries out and then apply the paint. The screwdriver can get the paint can open. Stir with the wooden stick and take some amount of the paint on your paint pan. Don’t take too much at a time. In case of a spray gun, fill the jog with some paint and replace the sprayer.
- To apply paint, dip the paint roller in the pan and wait for the excess paint to fall off before starting to paint. Make up and down motions with the roller and remember to begin at the top end. This will help you to smooth out the drips. Work carefully so that you don’t splatter the ceilings or other areas which should not be painted. Go on painting in this way. Use clean cloths and water to wipe out any smudges on the window and door frames.
- The roller cannot reach the corners and many such places. Use the brush instead. But make sure that these places are done first and then the roller is used on the other parts of the walls.
Now that your painting is over, you can think of cleaning up the mess. Pour the remaining paint back into the can. Seal the cans tightly. Use warm water and a mild detergent to wash the brushes, rollers and the paint pan properly. Take away all the covers on the different items in the room. Put back all the furniture in its places and hang the curtains and drapes. Your room will look beautiful for sure.